Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Knitting, '70's Style


Recently, I came across these two knitting magazines from the 1970's at my mother-in-law's house.  They belonged to Charlotte Pfaff, Bryon's paternal grandmother.   Just let the captions speak for themselves.  (click on any picture to enlarge it)

First off, the poses:

"You are a giraffe, dressed in braids!  Stretch that neck high up in the trees!"


Work it, Girl!  Pop those toes!

Look, high up in the sky!  It's a bird, it's a plane, it's  Superman Knitted Neck-Brace Man to the rescue!


Just waiting for my eggs to hatch....

Next, some oddities:
Candle busts, lanterns, odd naked statues, and tiki heads all cast in wax are in!  



What do I make of Aunt Lydia?  I make that she is wearing ice cream cones for a bra.

Okay, so this one is no joke.  You submit an afghan shawl, and you win an actual GOLDEN AFGHAN PUPPY.  All that knitting and following 8 very specific rules, and you get stuck with a prize that will shed all over your lovely creation??  I just wonder how many entrants they had....

Yep, every heroine dreams of two pre-pubescent boys giddy to just be touching a female...

I was shocked to see something actually very modern and wearable in this century!



Saving the best for last, the knitted clothing:  


Makes you wonder how many times those tights got worn.  White itchy yarn and little girls don't mix well.



She's actually cute.  He, on the other hand, needs a haircut, a shave, and a decent pair of shoes.  

Taking a cue from Scarlett O'Hara, Carol fashioned some lovely skirts from doilies she salvaged from the tablecloth.




Rainbow sweater, pants, scarf, belt, and hat?  Check, check, check, check, and check.  




The perfect "Let me slip into something more comfortable" outfit!


Wow. Just wow.

I just hope she doesn't get too hot.  Sweating in this outfit could turn out to be a disaster.

You can tell they're in love by the spark in their eyes on their sweaters.

Even the model is thinking, "Seriously?"

2 comments:

Tracy said...

LOL! That's too much. I'm trying so hard to not laugh out loud, my son is still sleeping.

Molly said...

Those are awesome. I hope this means you are going to start knitting.