Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Announcing Shelby Lee Pfaff



How are hearts have melted! Shelby Lee Pfaff arrived June 8, 2008 at 4:14 pm, weighing 7 pounds 2 ounces and measuring 19 inches long. Her long BROWN hair was the biggest surprise. Who knew Bryon and I had a dark hair gene to be found? I went into labor sometime on Saturday and headed to the hospital Saturday night around 10:00 pm. After a night of drama involving lots of pain, vomiting, and finally an epidural, we were informed Sunday morning the contractions had stopped completely.

After getting over the shock of that news, the doctor started me on Pitocin to induce labor once again. Luckily, it kicked in quickly, and within 3 hours I was ready to push. Long story short, I wasted two hours pushing only to find out a C-Section was going to be the only way to meet our new baby. While the news of surgery on such a short notice was a little overwhelming to both Bryon and I, it was all worth it to hear Shelby's first cries and see Daddy hold her for the first time.

Some highlights of our hospital stay include Bryon giving me a beautiful pearl drop necklace with tiny "S"'s on it, our Labor and Delivery nurses (we have a whole new respect for those people), being asked by a teenager in labor for "a lighter" on our way in (classy!), and all the beautiful flowers and gifts everyone brought. We've also enjoyed all the well-wishes everyone has emailed to us.

We are having so much fun with her and were THRILLED to come home a day early. We are convinced she is the most brilliant baby ever, as she is mesmerized by the metal artwork on the wall in our living room. She stared at it for a long time, while Bryon and I stared at her. So far, she is a calm baby that loves to be held and swaddled. I'll be posting lots more pictures. Notice there are none of me yet due to a lack of makeup and sleep so far!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so glad you are home and all is well. She is a special little girl and lucky to have you guys as her parents!

Molly said...

I miss her already!