Friday, November 2, 2012

Another Work of Art

How lucky is it for me that I get to reap the rewards of all my husband's hard work?  He is an engineer for a construction company, and once they finish a project, we get to have a big night out for the grand opening. He does all the hard work, and I get to celebrate his accomplishments.

The last grand opening we attended was the Wyly theater in 2009.  I had given birth just 6 weeks prior and was still breastfeeding little Haley.  Getting dressed up and going out made me feel like a queen again as opposed to a sleepless zombie.  The only problem was that once the clock struck midnight, reality set back in quickly.  I was still in Mama-Bear-Mode and couldn't quite party with the rest of the crowd. 

His latest project, the Dallas City Performance Hall, opened in September, so I got another chance to feel like a queen again.   This latest project is an absolute beauty.  Opening night was amazing, just taking in the sites.  One cool feature is an LED curtain that can be programmed for any light display. I can't imagine what it took to install it, but I sure did love watching it! 
Ever-changing light show via the LED curtain

The Queen and Kind have arrived!

Another perk I get from Bryon's job is that I get to occasionally tour during the building phases, hard hat and construction vest required.  So, when the building is still bare bones, I get to peek inside.  You never really appreciate what goes into such a building unless you can see it during the construction phase.

Arial view...notice the crane is below ground in the parking garage

This theater has really grown on me.  At first, I thought it was really too simple and grey.  I've realized "simple" is hard to accomplish in a building with so many elements involved.  Miles and miles of conduit are used to hide all the cords and lines needed to run a theater.  

This past weekend, Bryon was able to take his parents on a behind-the-scenes tour.  I loved watching his dad's eyes dance in amazement at all the work that went into the building, and I loved watching my girls literally dance on stage, with his mom and I providing musical backup.  
Bryon and Norman working the lights

Best Performance of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" this stage will ever see!


Why did my camera choose this picture to be blurry??

Watch out Broadway!  The Pfaff girls are on their way.

Checking out the sound control room

Mom and Shelby getting our dance moves on!
Bryon doesn't know yet what his next project will be.  More that likely, he won't be building any more  theaters in the near future, so my opening nights of being queen are over for now.  Maybe one of these days, we will be going to the Pfaff girls' opening concert at one of his theaters!

No comments: