Thursday, September 1, 2011

It's an Honor Just to be Nominated

**Warning:  Shameless bragging by a proud mama to follow.  Stop reading now if you are nauseated by the thought of hearing about overachieving three-year-olds!**




At the beginning of the summer, we enrolled Shelby in Texas Dreams gymnastics.  The first week was a freebie, and after class, the coach came over to tell me how strong my daughter was.  After gloating to my hubby about the thought of our Shelby becoming the next Mary Lou Retton, he quickly concluded it was Texas Dreams' way of getting us to sign up for three months.
Oh, M.L.R., how all of us thirty-somethings loved you!


Fast forward three months to renewal time.  After class, Shelby's coach found me to tell me, "I've been a coach for a long time and know talent when I see it.  Shelby has real natural ability, and we would like for her to join our team classes.  Someone will be contacting you with more information."

Tonight was the night "someone" contacted me.  I received a letter stating, "Shelby's coaches have mentioned how much they enjoy having her in their class.  She has demonstrated continual progress with her gymnastics skills, and has shown an interest in the sport beyond what we normally see in our students.  Based on the recommendation of her coaches, we would like to invite Shelby to join our morning Pawesomes Pre-Team."

WOW, WOW, WOW!!    I am still glowing thinking about my little girl being a gymnast.  I was OBSESSED in the '80's with anything and everything to do with the sport.  In fact, in 1984, my family went to the World's Fair.  All I cared about was seeing the gymnastics performance.  We went to find the stage and arrived way too early.  I was thrilled that there were still great seats open, so I went down to save us some right up front.  After about 30 minutes, I looked around and realized I knew NO ONE around me.  Both my mom and dad had left me there, thinking I had gone with the other family traveling with us.  Long story cut short, I hung out in lost and found for a couple of hours until my mom finally came back to rescue me.

Anyway, back to my olympian-to-be...As much as I love the idea of it and after giving it lots of thought, team gymnastics just isn't an option for us at the moment.  Three hours a week for a three-year-old is a HUGE commitment.  Classes are during my work shift.  The cost is much greater.  Etc, etc, etc...maybe when she gets a little older and is still the star, we will go for it.  For now, Miss Shelby, keep being the athlete your mom never was!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good decision, although she is pretty fantastic!