Friday, June 25, 2010

Shelby's Second Birthday


"The days are long but the years are short". Truer words have never been spoken. In the blink of an eye, Shelby turned two. I can't even remember my life without her now. There were those endless days in the past two years that I would be standing on the porch with two crying girls (Haley and Shelby, not me...) praying the next car that drove down our street would be Bryon coming home from work. Two kids under the age of two can drive a person insane trying to get anything accomplished!

Then there were the perfect days, like the one where Shelby randomly ran up to me, gave me a big hug, and said, "I wuv you, Mama!" for the first time. I hope I never forget that moment or that feeling of sheer joy. Another daily event that I try to appreciate and remember is the first 30 minutes of our day. The weight of her in my lap, drinking her milk, watching her morning cartoons, and twirling her hair and mine reminds me every day that I have been blessed with the world's best snuggle-bunny.

So, enough of the reflection. Time to bore you, Dear Reader, with details of Shelby's big birthday. I threw the party together at the last minute and was proud of how it all turned out. We had a "coloring" theme, covering the dinning room table in paper and leaving crayons out for all the little girls. The cake, made by a random woman I found on craigslist, turned out adorable. She used ice cream cones and Ding Dongs to make the "crayons", and Shelby couldn't wait to get her hands on the pink one. Haley even got in on the cake action and loved every tiny morsel.















It was great fun to see Shelby open gifts, blow out candles, and run around with her friends. She is finally starting to understand the whole concept of a party and loved being the center of attention. Don't we all??

No comments: